Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Salt?

When I was very young I was pretty naïve. [you too?] I remember my mom telling me if I put salt on a bird's tail it would tame him and he would be my pet. Humph! Well, who doesn't want a pet! So with salt shaker in hand I spent many days trying to get my "pet".

I must have been the enjoyment of the neighbors for weeks! I am sure my mom laughed for a long time at my attempts. I was sure that if it was just salt that needed to be on the bird I could fling the white stuff far enough to get the pet of my dreams.

So my new approach was to get a handful of salt and toss it at any unsuspecting bird. [I wasn't going to be picky] However the new approach didn't work either.

It wasn't till many years later, my own children in tow, that I remembered chasing down birds and was talking with my mom about it that she shared with me. She told me that if I got close enough to a bird to put salt on his tail I would have been able to catch him. She said she thought I would have figured that out. Yikes! I had missed the whole point. [naïve, did I say that?]

I got to thinking about when I read the Bible. There was a particular verse I had in mind, since my life has been in upheaval lately.
“Truly I tell you, if anyone says to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and does not doubt in their heart but believes that what they say will happen, it will be done for them.
 
Hmmm, is this like the salt? I was so believing that the salt would work. This is a picture of the mountains where I live.
I don't know about you, but that is a lot of mountain to move into the sea! Wait, I started to think perhaps I was missing the point. [again] Perhaps it isn't the mountain that I need to move into the sea but maybe it is  my "mountain of guilt" that needs to be moved. I know it seems almost as large as the mountain above.  But, if I have the faith that God is able to do all things then He can move my mountain of guilt, or depression, or whatever mountain has risen in front of me. I don't have to do the heavy lifting I just need to turn to the One that is able to do all things. I have been doing that lately and the "mountains' have been thrown into the sea. The sea of His forgetfulness.
 
Do you have mountains that are looming high above you? Take heart! Let God do the heavy lifting. He is so good at it.
 
http://holleygerth.com/
 

1 comment:

  1. I had just studied that verse this week, so what a great reminder. Tanks!! love the precious reminder that it is God who does the heavy lifting!! blessings (popped over from holley gerth's site)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting Yahweh's Pearl. Leave your comments and let me know what you think about the posting. See you next Wednesday, God loves you!