Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Are You Cheating?

I love to help people out when they need an extra hand, do you also? It blesses me I think more than the person I am helping. It lifts my spirit and makes me smile and feel good about me.

I remember growing up my mom taught my sister and I about giving with out saying a word. She was the living example. I remember going to the"Old Folks Home" and just visiting with a few of the people there that were not able to get out of bed and didn't have family that was able to, or just didn't take the time to visit. I remember how their face would light up when we came in the door. Some would even offer candy to us. My mom led the way and we would sit and listen to her just chat with them. It was fun to hear about their lives when they were younger.

Then there was the older widow that couldn't make it to church too often, she just was well enough to drive or sit that long. However, she loved buckwheat pancakes and when my mother's Sunday School Class would have their annual Pancake Breakfast she would make sure there were a few "special " pancakes made out of buckwheat so we could run them to this widow's home. She always was so very thankful. She said it reminded her of when she was a girl and had them at home.You could see the smile on her face as she would take a whiff of the hotcakes.

I remember as we drove home I felt really good inside. It was like Christmas morning and the packages were all for me!

There were so many other ways she lived the "better to give than receive" lesson. As I grew up it was such fun to come up with my own ways to teach my children the same lesson. I remember when there was an older woman that couldn't get to church as she didn't drive. I offered to pick her up and take her. Thought it would be a great lesson for my children. At first they really didn't want to do this. She of course got "shotgun" [the front seat] and that was the coveted seat. But as they got to know her and we did it a few times they were getting into it.

Its funny but now that my children are grown that is one of the things they remember and will remind me of.

Now the shoe is on the other foot. {namely my foot] I am the one in need of a helping hand. Do I ask for help. You're absolutely right, NO! That would admit to myself that I can't do all the things I used to do.[just like the pancake lady] I will struggle with things before I seek help  and then only if it is something that absolutely has to be done right away. Lately after reading the things I read from each of you and Holley I am rethinking my actions. Perhaps it is my time to let someone else be blessed by God with their ability to give me a helping hand. Pride is just such an ugly word. I think it is my pride that is keeping me from seeking others help. God has some things to say about pride. 

                     When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom.



                                      Pride goes before destruction, a                                        haughty spirit before a fall.

I am working on asking for help and not allowing my pride to cheat someone out of the wonderful blessing that God gives. How about you? You don't need to wait!




.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your perspective. You're right. We all need help sometimes and then other times we get to help. That's why we are here! Visiting from Holley's.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting Yahweh's Pearl. Leave your comments and let me know what you think about the posting. See you next Wednesday, God loves you!