Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Sort-of-Like

I must be the only one on the planet that loves T.V. commercials! I don't watch them for their sponsor, sometimes I couldn't tell you who or what the commercial is about but I love the life lessons that can be applied to them.

I don't know if you have ever heard the song, for lack of another word, of what God is like. It uses names of  candy bars. Example: God is sweeter than a Bit-O-Honey. We Skor when we spend time together.I am Nuts about spending time with him. He teaches me Good and Plenty from His Word. His love for me is beyond the Milky Way. [you get the picture]

When I watch those commercials on T.V. I have in mind God or things about him or how they relate to my life with a "God Twist". [keeps you from being annoyed at how often your favorite show is interrupted.

There are a few commercials out there now about how it isn't good to be nearly you or "sort-of-you. [no idea what product this is for] There is one with a car park dude [valet] that takes the keys from the unsuspecting young man who says "you're not the valet" The guy with the keys says "I'm sort of like the valet. We both like to drive cars, we both have the keys to your car, and we both get where we are going quickly." With that said  he burns rubber and gets the car on two wheels to the dismay of the couple who handed him the keys.

The one that is popular now is of a beauty queen sitting inside a huge front loader [my husband had to tell me what the machine was.] with her sash and crown on. The construction worker says "you're not Marge." Beauty queen replies she is "sort of like" Marge Then says some very inane things and takes the controls in hand and moves the giant swing arm and knocks over two port-o-lets.

These got me to thinking about myself and my "sort of self." The "sort of self"; that woman I want everyone to like. The woman with a smile plastered on her face all the time with the pat answer of "I am doing FINE." That "sort of self" that doesn't want anyone to know the failures she has suffered. [do you have a "sort of self" also?]

The "sort of self" doesn't want anyone to see her weaknesses. But as I read 2 Corinthians 12:9 I think I may have missed something important.

2 Corinthians 12:9

 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.

This verse tells me [and you] that God's power is made perfect in my [your] weakness. I don't have to be that "sort of self" that pretends to be perfect I can show my weaknesses because God's power will be made perfect in all those weaknesses. No more striving just being real. What a breath of fresh air!


Thank you Lord for loving me just the way I am and helping me to also love me just the way I am.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting Yahweh's Pearl. Leave your comments and let me know what you think about the posting. See you next Wednesday, God loves you!